Invisalign Vs Braces – Most of us are familiar with the conventionally used metallic or ceramic braces for the correction of tooth misalignment and maxillofacial asymmetry. However, most dentists in Toronto are now shifting towards a newer approach to orthodontic treatment that requires the use of removable clear aligners for the straightening of crooked teeth. While both these approaches to orthodontic treatment produce similar results, their mode of action differ significantly.
Let’s have a comparison between the time tested wire braces and the Invisalign aligners and Invisalign vs Braces Pros and Cons
How Do Invisalign and Regular Braces Work?
The metallic or ceramic orthodontic braces bring about tooth alignment with the help of wires that pass through specially designed slots created in them. The braces are bonded to teeth with the help of a resin cement, which is polymerized with the help of an LED light. The wires used with braces are usually made from two types of dental alloys, the Nickel-Titanium (Ni-Ti) and the Stainless Steel (SS) alloys. Tooth movement and alignment is brought about by using the appropriate material and gauge of the orthodontic wires during the course of treatment. In order to prevent relapse, removable or fixed retainers are provided to the patients once the treatment has been completed.
Does invisalign work? Invisalign aligner uses clear, removable aligners that are worn by patients for at least 22 hours per day. The dentist makes a digital impression of the teeth with the help of an intra-oral camera, which is used to make three dimensional digital images of the patient’s teeth and oral structures with the help of a software. Keeping in view the intended tooth movement, the image is then used to fabricate the aligner, either on the chairside, or at the dental office, in such a way that the aligner exerts forces onto the teeth. When this aligner has served its purpose, it is replaced by a new aligner after about 2 weeks. In this way, the patient successively wears new aligners, until the desired results have been achieved. The last aligner can be used as a retainer so as to prevent relapse of the treatment.
Invisalign vs Braces Pros and Cons
Invisalign Vs Braces – The Pros
- Superior Esthetics – while the metallic braces or those made from ceramics become visible while the patient speaks or smiles, the Invisalign aligners are made of clear acrylic, which are barely visible when the patients open their mouth. Hence, the Invisalign aligners are specifically preferred by patients who are highly conscious of their looks and appearance.
- Minimal Chances of Tissue Injury – braces can be considered as “add-ons” that are placed onto the teeth. As a result, there is always a chance of injury to the gums and cheeks with the braces, especially in case of an accident or a blow to the face. On the other hand, the Invisalign aligners do not contain any sharp edges and do not injure the oral soft tissues.
- Eat Whatever You Want – While patients wearing braces must avoid sticky and hard foods in order to prevent their dislodgement, Invisalign aligners can be conveniently removed before eating, thereby allowing the patients to eat anything they want.
- Better Oral Hygiene Maintenance – it becomes quite difficult with patients with braces to clean their teeth and gums. However, since Invisalign aligners are removable, patients can remove them while brushing and flossing. As a result, oral hygiene maintenance becomes easy.
- Minimal Chances of Root Resorption – wire braces can generate excessive forces that can lead to root resorption, and even infection of the pulp in some cases. On the other hand, the Invisalign aligners generate mild and controlled forces that do not damage the gums and teeth.
Invisalign Vs Braces – Cons
- Invisalign Cost – the Invisalign orthodontic therapy is usually more expensive than the conventional fixed orthodontic treatment with the braces. (read about the Invisalign cost here)
- Potential For Loss – since the Invisalign aligners are removable, patients can easily loose them while they remove them for eating or cleaning in public places.
- Requires Commitment From the Patient – the success of orthodontic treatment with removable appliances is highly dependent upon patient compliance in terms of following the dentist’s instructions regarding their use and care. As a result, these aligners may not be suitable for patients who forget to wear them or tend to lose them frequently.
- Cannot Perform All Tooth Movements – Invisalign clear aligners are best in bringing the teeth “into” the arch. However, teeth that are present high up in the arch cannot be brought down to their normal position with these aligners.
So Which One to Choose?
While both the orthodontic treatment modalities carry their own merits and demerits, choosing an orthodontic treatment for yourself is a matter of personal preference as well as the dentist’s professional opinion. Your dentist can help in selecting the treatment option that is best suited to your dental needs as well as budget constraints.
Are you thinking of getting orthodontic treatment for your crooked teeth? Call Emerald Dental Care in Thornhill today and book an appointment for an orthodontic evaluation, because it is never too late to have perfect teeth and a beautiful smile!
Ask us about our limited time Invisalign and Orthodontic Treatment Special offers for Vaughan, Markham, Thornhill, Richmond Hill, North York and Toronto residences.
We look forwards to seeing you at our Thornhill Clinic for a free Orthodontic treatment consultation or comparing Invisalign Vs Braces for your case.